Back to top

Farm Forestry Assist

Farm Forestry Assist is a one-off grant for farmers and other land owners to plant radiata or maritime pine trees on their land in 2018. This grant of $500 per hectare is available to landowners who are interested in establishing new 20 to 50 hectare plantations to support the State’s vibrant softwood industry.

Grant recipients may opt for free, high-quality radiata pine seedlings from the Forest Products Commission’s (FPC) nursery instead of the $500 per hectare.

Before applying, landowners must check the suitability of their property against the assessment criteria which address the location, scale, soil, access and management of the plantations are in place to ensure that your future plantation will be able to contribute to Western Australia’s softwood industry. (see page 2)

To apply, please download and complete the FPC Farm Forestry Assist Expression of Interest form and email it to or send it to PO Box 236, Bunbury, WA, 6231.

For more information, please contact the Forest Products Commission on 9725 5288.

Why is the Forest Products Commission providing this grant?

The aim is to expand the plantation estate, with farm forestry contributing a meaningful supply of timber to industry.

Who is eligible to apply?

We welcome applications from landowners that meet the criteria outlined in the Expression of Interest form.

What is the Farm Forestry Assist grant?

Farm Forestry Assist is a one-off grant for farmers and other land owners for new plantings of radiata pine (Pinus radiata) and maritime pine (Pinus pinaster) for timber production.

How much is the grant?

This grant is for $500 per hectare.

What do you mean by $500 or free seedlings?

The grant recipient can choose whether to receive $500 to spend on the establishment of the plantation or to receive free radiata pine seedlings to establish the area. The exact amount of seedlings per hectare will be determined by the Farm Forestry Officer after inspecting the site.

Can I apply if I am replanting an existing plantation?

Second rotation plantings will be eligible for half the grant amount being $250 per hectare or free seedlings for half the area established.

How can I apply?

Please complete the Expression of Interest form and return it via email to or post to the Forest Products Commission at PO Box 236, Bunbury, WA, 6231.

What happens after I submit an Expression of Interest form?

After your Expression of Interest form is received, the Forest Products Commission’s Farm Forestry Officer will contact you to organise a visit of your property.

When do applications close?

Applications close on Friday 27 April 2018. This will allow you time to complete your preparation prior to planting this winter.

Will the Forest Products Commission own the trees?

No. You will have ownership of and responsibility for the trees.

What assistance is available to grant recipients?

The Forest Products Commission Farm Forestry Officer will work with grant applicants and recipients and will be available to provide advice and support the establishment of viable and productive plantations on farms. 

When will I receive the money or seedlings?

Grant recipients will enter into a grant agreement with the Forest Products Commission to ensure that the area is established.

Money will be provided to grant recipients after the seedlings have been established. If seedlings are chosen in lieu of payment, the seedlings will be provided at a time agreed by the grant recipient and the Farm Forestry Officer.

How long will the pines take to grow before they're ready for harvest?

Normally, the trees should be thinned at 10 yrs with the thinnings being suitable for sale as chips for pulp. The plantation should then be thinned again at approximately 20 yrs for pulp and small sawlogs. The remaining plantation should then be clearfelled at approximately 30 years for sawlogs suitable for structural timber.

What happens to the plantations in the future?

This is your choice, however the Forest Products Commission is providing this grant to support the planting of radiata pine and pinaster pine for timber production to support our vibrant softwood industry of the future. The Forest Products Commission’s Farm Forestry Officer can help explain your options.

How much money is the Forest Products Commission allocating to this grant program?

The Forest Products Commission is allocating $100,000 from an industry development fund that was included in the 2016 Softwood Industry Strategy to this initiative.

Is this a Managed Investment Scheme?

This is not a Managed Investment Scheme or Sharefarm arrangement because the trees will belong to the landholder.